Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Father-isms

Father-isms
That was the topic on the radio this morning. Those things your father would say that were sometimes silly, or would make you go Whaaaaaaaaa?! My dad had a few. But most of his were little quotes or phrases that I now look back on as nuggets of wisdom.

My dad is a very private man. But he rarely ever met a stranger. Yes, he was cautious around others, but he would always try to make them feel a part...especially at church or the drive thru, lol.
I remember a time when he shook a young man's hand and asked "don't I know you from somewhere?" The young man was puzzled and shook his head no. Dad piped up with "Yes!!! that's it! you were in the cell next to me...remember?!" Haha. Now, it wasn't true, but it was definitely an ice breaker. 

I remember when people would ask the famous question.... "How are you today? or How are you doing?" Dad would almost always reply with ..."terrible! but I love the variety." smiling all the while.



Another famous one was "pull up a chair and sit on the floor." 

This one was for us kids....
"I don't care if so-n-so jumps off a building, you ARE NOT jumping off with them. We are not the Smiths, Joneses, whatever....we are *insert our family name*."  Funny thing...I'm a Smith now. How ironic!

My dad is a man of few words, but some very powerful. This one still sticks with me. "Blessed are the peacemakers"  I strive to be a peacemaker. It's hard work.

Now, my siblings may read this and think seriously Dad said that?!?!? I've been told that myself and Lydia (an older sister) seem to remember a lot of our childhood. Sometimes stuff that didn't even happen. Well.....I remember this (lol) and if not, what a glorious imagination I have. 

-enJoy

No comments: