Monday, February 3, 2014

February is Heart Month...in more ways than one

February is National Heart Awareness Month. February 7th-14th is Congenital Heart Awareness Week. 
Ask me about this 6.5 years ago and I wouldn't have had a clue as to what you were talking about. Oh, I would have understood about Heart Awareness...taking care of your heart. But the other stuff, nope!

Hearing about it from your child's pediatrician isn't the best way, either. I was so dang emotional to even pay attention...I just knew it was hurting my child. Once I got home, I researched as much as I could about Congenital Heart Defects, echocardiograms, pediatric cardiologist, rapid breathing, blue lips, and "hole in the heart".

Crazy how one doctor appointment can change you and your child's life. 

The above picture was from our first hospital stay. Lily was diagnosed as Failure To Thrive. At this time, she had only gained 1 lb since she was born (she was roughly 3 months old)

I can't believe it's been 6 years since we found out about our little girl's CHD. I'm even more amazed at how far she's come since surgery. It's incredible! 


I will continue to share little moments from our time in the hospital and at home before and after heart surgery. I'm hoping these posts will help to educate and raise awareness. And if need be, help that mommy or daddy dealing with their heart baby.

-enJoy

No comments: