Friday, October 11, 2013

Fear of the unknown: sleepwalking

Do you ever have those moments when you think Why can't I fall asleep? I'm thoroughly exhausted. Why am I still awake? 
Last night/early this morning was my moment. Oh, I was thoroughly exhausted. I couldn't even stay awake through the TV shows that I usually watch. I just couldn't figure it out. Finally, I thought...I'll just lie here, sleep will eventually come. Just as I was beginning to doze off, I hear the pitter patter of feet walking through the house. It was the oldest child. So, I lie there and listen. He's walking through the living room and I'm hoping headed to the bathroom (he's been known to be still so asleep to think the living room is the bathroom). The footsteps continue...he's in the kitchen now. I'm waiting to hear the fridge open and hearing him pour tea or grab a water bottle. Nope! I then hear the door to the garage open...Panic sets in. I jump out of bed and run. The garage door is standing open and the door to the outside is open as well. My hearts racing...I scream for Jed. He comes running as I'm saying "He went outside!!!! go find him" 
Why I didn't run right out the door after him, I have no idea.

Yes, we have a sleep walker. This is the first time his sleep walking adventures have escalated to outside.
We got him back in the house, did a potty break, and headed back to his bed. He was still sound asleep.

This momma didn't sleep very well for the remainder of the night. Every little sound woke me. 

I'm thinking this was the reason that sleep eluded me earlier in the night.

Now, we are working to get top locks on our doors that lead to outside. If anything, it will help this momma sleep better knowing my children are safe. 
I think it's the fear of the unknown that scares me the most. 
Sharing this to hopefully help someone else dealing with the same situation and/or to seek advice in the situation. The oldest child remembers nothing of this last night. But I think it will forever be ingrained in my memory.


No comments: